Over the weekend, I ventured to Washington DC for Jon Stewart's Rally to Restore Sanity (see also: Stephen Colbert's March to Keep Fear Alive). Much is being made of the rally and this voting thing today, and if I am going to have time to vote, get an oil change, return a DVD, buy the Toy Story box collection with all three films on Blu-ray and DVD, then I will need to eschew the funny in favor of the swiftness. First, there's a news report round-up here and the supposed 100 best signs at the rally collected here. You could also prepare for Christmas and buy me these Tom Waits 180 gram reissues here. Below, you'll find a phone photo that I took along with a couple of my favorite signs below that (photos not by me) and my twitter impressions underneath.
- On the trip, playing DC music: D-Plan, Tim Buckley, Marvin Gaye, Minor Threat's Complete Discography (seems crazy, but it's under an hour). #Rally4Sanity
- Loins, tigers and bears, oh my. That shit was enlightening: composed a tweet and I feel ever-so-lighter!
- DC's Brickskeller has more beer than anywhere I've been. Drinking Kasteel Triple (11%). Great prices & food, too. #Rally4Sanity #Rally4Beer
- Was David Byrne here performing "One Fine Day?" Why are all important cars near stage entrance black? I'd know more at home. #Rally4Sanity
- Why did we have to sneak around port-o-potties for #Rally4Sanity? Not everything here is reasonable. Oh well. Doing the wave in the crowd.
- I am in DC at #Rally4Sanity, but I am afraid to look. Something funny is probably happening.
- Colbert wrote a better poem than I ever will. New genre: scare-etry. #Rally4Sanity Wait, Cat Stevens! I'm now at a Cat Stevens show... and Ozzy?
- I fear that the O'Jays only remind me of Dr. Pepper. If they are looking for a train, why not Tom Waits' "Downtown Train?" #Rally4Sanity
- Mavis Staples, Jeff Tweedy and a little girl that is braver than NPR made it to the #Rally4Sanity! To clarify, David Byrne was a recording.
- Mick Foley is here. Now that's insane! Even more unbelievable is that I knew who he was immediately. Former teen WWFE fan. #Rally4Sanity
- Okay, so they have a bit to interrupt Cat Stevens and Ozzy, but Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow get to continue? Couldn't book BRUCE? #Rally4Sanity
- The last hour was the best, most reasonable PSA that I've ever heard. It even had R2-D2. No bias, but it was still a PSA. #Rally4Sanity
- As close as we could manage w/out punching people or waking at 6am #Rally4Sanity http://twitpic.com/32b77y
- When billions are in DC a day before Halloween for #Rally4Sanity, it is easy to spot Waldo. Spotted him at least 5 x's. Now quest for food.
Well, we're about to find out tonight. It's a good thing that I took years of ballot classes as a kid, otherwise I'd be unprepared and less swan-like.
|Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear|
|Jon Stewart - Moment of Sincerity|